Underpinning is a method used for increasing the depth of any foundation. In traditionally built homes, height of the basement is insufficient. Underpinning comes to the rescue as it helps you to get a deeper area.
When is Underpinning used?
Underpinning is used for reasons such as:
· To correct faulty foundation in case it has suffered a lot of cracks and settlement
· If the foundation is not strong or stable enough to hold the weight of the property
· To increase the load bearing capacity of the existing foundation
· To add floors to the existing foundation, rather than constructing a new building
How to choose the Correct Method for Underpinning the Basement of your home?
Choosing an underpinning method solely depends on the type of foundation of your home. There isn’t a single method that will be suitable in every situation. In order to choose the correct method, you should keep the following points in mind:
· The structure of the foundation underpinning experts colorado
· The factors that may have caused damage to the existing foundation
· Depth of excavation
· Site restraints
· Local permits and regulations
· Cost of the entire process
· Time duration
Commonly Used Methods for Underpinning
- Mass Pouring
The most commonly and traditionally used method of underpinning is mass pouring. It is suited for shallow underpinning in which a lot of digging is not required. It simply involves excavating the weak soil underneath the surface and pouring concrete in its place to strengthen the base. Since concrete is stronger than soil, the weight of the entire structure is carried effectively by the concrete.